Inow. Car manufacturers have it down, videogame makers have it down, advertiave it down, smoke detectors have it down. The idea that there is something pressing on you, ation taps into. On the iOS devices and android devices that you have push notificas that remind you, “Hey come backntually be deleted when you’ve forgot why you downloaded it in this is not a new thing, check the thrift shop for still-boxed PC games some pulled back again. hey connected to game makes a big difference is whether or not people will come back to the game on bechey’ve been annoyed into returning or because they generally have an interest in playin game again over time because gameta blergan funkeo palazza….
Well, crap, that’s the last time I use a dictation app to post a blog entry. Let me try that again….
GDC has an extended history of sub-par connectivity. Which is kind of ironic when you think about it. The games industry, particularly up here in the SF Bay Area *ought* to have the best d*mn wifi in the country. Every bleeding edge tech company is within easy reach up here.
But every year, for as long as I can remember, the WiFi signal has been crap. The cel signal is bad too, but that, at least, is explainable by things like concrete pilings and steel rebar. WiFi can be/is usually handled by wireless routers within the space, and when the hall is empty you can get signal all day long.
As it fills up though, all those people, those warm saline heavy bodies start to *soak up* the signal. The end result of this is that the hallways end up lined with clusters of WiFi users (yeah, okay, many of us take our work to GDC with us) all who are trying to find a place they can transmit from.
So here we are at the shiny new start of Week 03 for NaGaDemo. I kinda thought I would be farther along by now, to be honest, but I didn’t take into account the sheer volume of RL stuff I have to handle, especially here at the end of the school year for the Three Things. Now that Mom’s Taxi Service is on hiatus for the summer (or at least is operating on reduces hours) I am hoping I can get some epic levels of stuff done in the last two weeks.
That said, I have a working version of the first level (woot!) up and running. It counts score (I solved the issue with using 3d textures to handle the scorekeeping and timer thanks to some Google-Fu and some digital sticky-tape) it keeps time, there are flashy lights. Next up are the transitional elements, I have 25 levels and need to set up keeping track of which levels have been completed so that the game doesn’t completely reset every time it gets restarted.
Ah, and another, incremental screenshot for you here…
The timer is giving me fits.
For a programmer, doing what I want to do is probably remedial stuff, but I’m finding it less than simple. Given a longer production cycle, I would continue trying to sort it out, but with a 1 month deadline (of which 3 weeks are left) I am wasting hours in the rabbit hole. Hours I can ill afford to waste.
The issue is one of dynamic fonts. See, iOS doesn’t support scaleable fonts out of Unity. This means that I have to bring in a custom static font for iOS. Which isn’t a big deal. But then, when I push the game to Android, that font is going to have to be manually adjusted for each screen, which kind of defeats the purpose of developing in Unity, which is that the game can be pushed cross-platform with a minimum of mucking about.
The solution we have used in the past is to build all of our GUI elements out of game objects. For the timer, however, this is not so simple. now I have to build an actual mechanical timer, something that swaps textures or animates the number switching. This can be done, but it involves even more complex coding.
So I have set aside the timer issue for now and moved to things that should give me a greater degree of visible, physical progress on the game. If I have the TIME (hur dur) to work on the timer later, I will, but right now it has been moved from the “want” list down to the “nice to have” list.
Yeah. So there was this E3 thing. I didn’t get as much done as I wanted, but there has been quite a bit of progress. Because I am working with what is essentially a modular game, I am working on getting everything working properly in the first level, from there is should be mostly assemblage.
I have a good rough mockup in Unity3d at this point, I’m attaching the screenshot below. I am attempting to use uScript for the lions’ share of my programming, but there are just some things that only good ‘ol C# seems to be able to do the way I want it done.
My current bit of hair-pulling is the timer, which records how quickly you finish the level. It’s counting up in milliseconds (which is why the big, fat number on the right) I need to get it to display a bit better.
All mu GUI elements are being created using masked 3d planes, rather than the GUI interface. Since I am going to multiple platforms with this, scaleability is an issue, and I don’t have the math-fu to build out a GUI in code that will adapt to the changes in interface. By working with game objects rather than GUI rects, the different elements scale perfectly and remain in the same relationship no matter what the screen size or format.
A screenshot can be found at the link here: